Thursday, September 9, 2010

Cold front in Phoenix

Important news alert: it is currently 79 degrees in Phoenix, Arizona. And I'm breaking out the blankets and down jackets. Brrrrrrrrrr

Okay, so I'm a smartass. But today IS the monumental first day since we've been here that the temperature is NOT expected to climb into the 100s. That's right, we're looking at a balmy 96 degrees today and tomorrow, and 99 on Saturday. Rough. But, you know, just in case you're worried, we'll safely return to the 100s just in time for work next week. Rest assured.

I know it's been a week since I last posted, but nothing particularly exciting has occurred since that time. I'm trying to think of something cheeky to post, so that my blog doesn't really turn into a "oh, I did this today list." But I'm afraid that's what it might end up becoming. Any suggestions?

Work is more steadily starting to kick my butt. Since I now have a very minimal idea of what the hell I'm doing, Stephanie and Mike decided I was fit and ready to take on my first client. Personally, I think they both have very obvious poor judgment. 

Because this is week 4, I'm at the end of my "training" program and was supposed to conduct 2 Intakes under   Stephanie's careful supervision. In Case Management 101, an Intake is when a new client that has been admitted into the shelter comes in to meet with their case manager for the first time. We enter a lot of their personal information into HMIS for government tracking. In other words, my Oma would freak out with the amount of personal information we collect from our clients. But no, Oma, we actually DON'T ask for their bank account numbers and current account balances. At least not yet. 

Anyway, during intake I also go over the client's case plan for his/her stay, which basically outlines the goals we have for them over the next 90 days. Finally, we make initial referrals for them to go to food banks, thrift stores, and to even get haircuts. We basically get them started with whatever assistance they need right from the get go. From the Case Manager's perspective, there's a bunch of little things you have to remember to do in that one little meeting -- a lot of details to keep track of. But at the end of it, it's worth it because you know your client is all settled in.

I did my first supervised intake last week for my first client and to say that it was a mess, would be an understatement. Of course, Stephanie was there next to me to cover my butt every single time I messed something up. And my second and third intakes were scheduled for yesterday. Stephanie was going to sit in on the first one, while Mike sat in on the afternoon. Per Murphy's Law, Crazy Shi*t really started to hit the fan and both Stephanie and Mike wound up occupied. 

I was on my own.

It's easy to describe the first intake yesterday: catastrophe, chaos, disaster, madness, failure, major-whoops-moments. At one point, I looked down at my desk and both file drawers were open; for the life of me, I couldn't remember why I had opened either one of them or what form I was trying to retrieve. I was finally able to give my client the information s/he needed, it just wasn't done in the most graceful manner. 2 hours later, I was done with my first Intake... exhausted just in time to start round two.

Luckily, round two went much more smoothly. And while I was completely thrown off my game not to have Stephanie and Mike there in to pitch relief, I'm ultimately glad they weren't. I learned a lot yesterday during those 4 hours (oh yeah, Intakes take a lonnnnng time, in case you couldn't tell). I'm sure I learned more doing it alone than I would have with Stephanie or Mike holding my hand. Protective mothers, take note. 

In other news: is it Friday yet?

Why is it that short weeks always feel so much longer than regular 5-day ones?

Speaking of short weeks, Labor Day weekend was spent the way it was intended -- without work, and with BBQ and beer in hand. Friday night we went over to a JV's house who lives here in Phoenix with his parents. Matt is going to be a JV in Peru, but doesn't leave until November. Surprise, surprise, he's also a Brophy graduate (oh heyyyyyy, Brophy!). The night was a lot of fun, topped off with a swim in their backyard pool and bbqed lamb chops. As JVs, it could be a very long time before we have such fine dining as lamb again.

20 seconds or less description of Saturday: 6 hours of The Office, Little Caesar's Pizza, ice cream, girl's night. That's all you have to know.

Sunday was once again spent at the pool, this time a family friend of Becky's. I'll be honest, this pool rocked. Not only did it have a diving board, but it also had a water slide and was owned by the sweetest old lady I've ever met.

And of course there was Monday, Labor Day. Monday was spent mostly catching up with everything else we DIDN'T do earlier in the weekend. But it was topped off by our very own BBQ in the backyard with Eddie Cullen. You know you're jealous.

Now it's my turn to cook tonight. So keep my housemates in your prayers tonight -- just to make sure that I don't kill them with food poisoning or set the house on fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment